March 2014 Demo
“The Art of Thread Chasing”
By Mark Gray of Tyler
Next Meeting - January 30, 2013
MEETING LOCATION AND TIME
The chapter meets on the last Thursday evening of each month from 6:30 - 9:00 PM at the Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club, 6013 Craig Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76112.
Visitors and guests are always welcome to attend our meetings. The Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club is about 1.5 miles south of I-30 on I-820 S. exit Craig Street (Exit 30a).
MONTHLY PRESIDENT'S NOTES
President's report for February 2014
- This year is starting to be a very busy one for the Woodturners of North Texas again. With Empty Bowls, open shops, school workshops, store demos, RISE, SWAT, AAW National, Bob's challenges, in house instruction, and an all day demo just to name a few, everyone can participate, learn, and enjoy.
- Our good friend and club member, John Herber, died this past week. John suffered from a long term illness and his presence will be sorely missed. We will be passing a platter for each member to sign as a tribute to John. The platter will be presented to his family.
- You received an email from me last Thursday with a list of our turner's donations for Empty Bowls. Though every donated bowl, pot, pen, or other turned item is very graciously received, I feel we have not nearly fulfilled our capability to support the Tarrant County Food Bank. There are 143 members in the Woodturners of North Texas and 168 turnings donated. That is an average of 1.17 turnings per member in 12 months. Folks, we can do much better, and I sincerely hope that each of you will join in and turn at least two items for Empty Bowls in 2014. This meeting is the last chance to get your bowls in for the March Empty Bowls luncheon.
- Are you interested in photography? Do you enjoy taking photos of beautifully turned items and people doing crazy things like sticking a sharp tool in a rapidly rotating log? Then you need to volunteer to be our club photographer. Last year Paul Tiefel volunteered to help out temporarily, but is unable to do the job full time. Paul has graciously offered to work with a member to show them the "ropes". We are in desperate need to fill this position so please contact me or Paul if you are willing to help.
- This month's meeting is going to be completely different with an Open Shop, a swap meet, tips & tricks demos, Bob's sphere challenge, and the signup for Joe Ruminski's hands-on classes, not to mention our Bring Back Raffle. Bob Wiggins is bringing hot dogs, chips, and drinks. Our treasurer has asked that you please bring small bills so it will be easier to make change. See the specific articles in this newsletter for all the details
- See you at 3:00pm Thursday and be safe. We do not need any more “safety coordinators”.
Monthly Bring Back Raffle
Every month at our meeting we have a table to share what we have turned. Tickets are $1. If you win a turned/ unturned item, you are asked to bring a like item to the next meeting you attend.
February 2014 Bring Back Results