Next Meeting - December 12th - Christmas Banquet
MEETING LOCATION AND TIME
The chapter meets on the last Thursday evening of each month from 6:30 - 9:00 PM at the Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club, 6013 Craig Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76112.
Visitors and guests are always welcome to attend our meetings. The Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club is about 1.5 miles south of I-30 on I-820 S. exit Craig Street (Exit 30a).
The mission of the Woodturners of North Texas is to advance the creative pursuit of woodturning through educational programs, practical demonstrations and community service projects. Personal achievement is encouraged through mentoring, design challenges and member participation.
MONTHLY PRESIDENT'S NOTES
- Now that I am back from my epic cruise through the Panama Canal after encounters with hurricane Odile and tropical storm Polo I am anxious to get back to turning. With the weather getting cooler I hope you are also getting the itch to spin up the lathe and make some chips. The next Bob's Challenge will encourage you to do just that. I have been impressed with the response to the various challenges but I am going to let Bob announce the one for November.
- You should have seen the email regarding the Great Open Shop coming up this Thursday at 3pm. There will be hollowing tool making, sharpening and turning help, hotdogs and more. Bring your extra woodworking items to sell or swap. Come and participate.
- Our Empty Bowls program is seriously lagging. There are only two more meetings, after this one, to get your bowls in to Sandy. The Empty Bowls luncheon is in February this year so we need to redouble our efforts to support them. Remember, this is our largest community service activity.
- I sure hope you have Saturday, December 13th on your calendar for our Christmas Banquet. This is one of the highlights of the year with door prizes, raffles, loads of food and our great turning auction. As I have said before, this auction is what finances our club and I encourage you to donate a turning, and then actively bid on a fellow turners piece. It is nice to add other's turnings to your collection.
- Our club is one of the larger chapters of the American Association of Woodturners. We are, however, not one of the larger by membership. Only 44% of us are members and we really need to change that. Some chapters require AAW membership for all members, we do not, but highly encourage it. In addition to the American Woodturning magazine, the AAW offers several opportunities such as: online publications, grants, exhibitions, forums, directories, drawings, outreach programs and merchandise discounts. I will have some magazines and application forms at the meeting. If you have never been an AAW member, and would like to join, see me at the meeting. Register online here https://aaw.site-ym.com/general/register_member_type.asp? .
- See you at 3:00 pm Thursday for Open Shop and be safe. We do not need any new “safety coordinators”.