June 2015 Demo
“SWAT Demo - End Grained Bowls”
Jim Tanksley- Mansfield Texas
Jim has been a member of the Wood Turners of North Texas since 2005. He has demonstrated several times over the years, last year’s demo was Christmas Trees and Snow Men. This month Jim will be demonstrating turning an end grained bowl with natural edge wings. He turns several versions of this bowl with flat, weeping or concave wings. Jim will use a roughing gouge, several bowl gouges, various scrappers, some hollowing tools, a beading tool, and an Easy Woods detailer. He will start out using a face plate and turn the bottom of the bowl to accept a Vickmarc chuck with dove tail jaws.
Once the bowl is turned he will remove it from the chuck and reverse chuck it using Alan Lacers jig. It should be a lot of fun and Jim welcomes questions while he is turning. He plans on bringing several blanks and will turn as large of a bowl as the clubs Jet 1642 Lathe will turn without vibrating too much. If you plan on turning this type of bowl at home Jim suggest weighting down your lath with sand bags to reduce vibration.
Next Meeting -July 30th, 2015
MEETING LOCATION AND TIME
The chapter meets on the last Thursday evening of each month from 6:30 - 9:00 PM at the Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club, 6013 Craig Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76112.
Visitors and guests are always welcome to attend our meetings. The Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club is about 1.5 miles south of I-30 on I-820 S. exit Craig Street (Exit 30a).
MONTHLY PRESIDENT'S NOTES
- Welcome to our new members: Alex Hingstrum, Craig Parker, Charles Richardson, and Jeremy Tyson.
- We will have a very busy meeting this month with our quarterly financial report and challenge raffle. This month we will also include our Bead of Courage contributors in the raffle. I know there will be about 10 items given away so be sure and bring your natural edge challenge turning which receives one ticket per participant. Bring your Beads of Courage boxes for show and tell, plus receive 3 raffle tickets per participant for them. If you are not going to SWAT you may leave your BOC boxes with Ray Moyer for delivery.
- Our four demonstration sessions at Woodcraft went very well. We had 16 turners signup with some doing double sessions. These demos are a great way to meet other club members, enhance your skills, and learn some turning tricks while attracting possible new club members. Unlike the spring and fall we were inside in air-conditioned comfort. Woodcraft provided lathes, wood, hotdogs, chips and drinks. Get on John Horn's volunteer list for upcoming events.
- You had your photo made and now the directories are being printed and should be available at this meeting. David and Robin Carter have done a fantastic job taking the photos, inputting and verifying all of your data and getting the directories printed. Give David a big thank you when you see him Thursday. James Haynes will have the directories at his desk.
- Our empty bowls program has improved but we still have a long way to go to even match last year's donations. Take the opportunity to turn a bowl in the relatively cool of the morning. It doesn't take long, and your finish dries much faster when the weather is hot. Remember you get one Christmas dinner raffle ticket for each bowl turned during the year.
- SWAT is coming up very quickly next month. If you have not registered you need to do it very soon as the price goes up 20%-25% the first of August. Go to https://wpforum.wufoo.com/forms/swat-2015-registration/ to register.
- I know it is getting hot in non-air-conditioned shops but please try to keep up with the three ongoing club activities as they are not only some of our community outreach, but provide excellent training and practice.
- See you at 6:30pm Thursday and be safe. We don't need a "safety coordinator".
The mission of the Woodturners of North Texas is to advance the creative pursuit of woodturning through educational programs, practical demonstrations and community service projects. Personal achievement is encouraged through mentoring, design challenges and member participation.