Next Meeting -September 24th, 2015
(next - October 29th)
MEETING LOCATION AND TIME
The chapter meets on the last Thursday evening of each month from 6:30 - 9:00 PM at the Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club, 6013 Craig Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76112.
Visitors and guests are always welcome to attend our meetings. The Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club is about 1.5 miles south of I-30 on I-820 S. exit Craig Street (Exit 30a).
Sept 2014 Demo
by Gary Sanders
I have worked with wood since I was a teenager. In 1992 I bought my first lathe and starting to turn as a hobby.
In 1994 I decided to devote my free time to turning. I retired from the Greenville Fire dept in 2012.
My demo will be on Christmas tree ornaments. I will talk about the woods I like to use. The style I like. Sanding and finishing.
MONTHLY PRESIDENT'S NOTES
President's report for September 2015
- Welcome to our new members: Dwight Brown, Steve Fields, Charles Lewis, Richard Oliver, Charlotte Phillips, and Robert Pummill.
- Get ready for a great time at our Open Shop / Tool Swap this Thursday. We will be starting at 2:30 and will have several lathes and grinding stations manned by experienced mentors. Come early and get those pesky questions answered with hands-on help. Hotdogs, chips and drinks will be available... thank you ladies.
- As I mentioned last month, club officer nominations will be this month so be thinking about any potential nominees. All existing board members have agreed to stay next year but that does not preclude any new nominations.
- Don't forget your "Bob's Challenge" for this month. All of the challenge bowls will be donated to our Empty Bowls program. It is not too late to turn an extra nice challenge piece.
- Next month will be very interesting with many opportunities to participate in club activities. The RISE program was cancelled this year because of lake water levels but we will have a demo day at the new Rockler store in Arlington on October 3rd (Randy Johnson is coordinating). There will be Woodcraft demo days on the 9th and 10th and Craig Timmerman will be doing an all day demo on the 17th. The ever popular Janice Levi will be returning as our demonstrator on the 29th and will also be conducting classes on the 30th and 31st. Refer to John Horn's information and my broadcast emails for the latest updates.
- Our Christmas dinner on December 12th is not far away and we need your contributions for the turnings auction. This is the highlight of the evening and a great time to show off your skills by donating a quality piece. James Haynes will also be taking raffle contributions... more on that from him.
- With the end of summer approaching, please try to keep up with the three ongoing club activities (Empty Bowls, Beads Of Courage and Bob's Challenge) as they are not only some of our community outreach, but provide excellent training and practice.
- See you at 6:30pm Thursday and be safe. We don't need a "safety coordinator".
The mission of the Woodturners of North Texas is to advance the creative pursuit of woodturning through educational programs, practical demonstrations and community service projects. Personal achievement is encouraged through mentoring, design challenges and member participation.