Next Meeting -July 28th, 2016
(next - Aug 18th due to SWAT)
MEETING LOCATION AND TIME
The chapter meets on the last Thursday evening of each month from 6:30 - 9:00 PM at the Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club, 6013 Craig Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76112.
Visitors and guests are always welcome to attend our meetings. The Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club is about 1.5 miles south of I-30 on I-820 S. exit Craig Street (Exit 30a).
July 2016 Demo
“Horizontal Lamination for Pens”
After spending five years turning the normal bowls and other really round things that no one really used, I thought I would give pens a try and maybe pens would be used instead of sitting on a shelf. After doing twenty or so pens in wood and acrylic, I had pretty much exhausted all of the useable shapes that you can create with pens and quit for a while. Crusing the internet one day I came across a story about a 15 year old that was turning pens with unusual laminations of wood. I followed up and made about ten wo0den laminated pens and lost interest again.....By now you have figured me out in that once I have learned the new wood turning interest, I am bored with it. Suddenly a new challenge flickered across my pea sized brain. If you could laminate wood, could you laminate acrylic with a metal separation betwween the laminations and away I went, chasing this new rabbit. The result was an acrylic pen with at least two colors of acrylic laminated with metal strips separating the laminations producing an acrylic pen with an appearence of metal strips inlaid between different colors of acrylic. This demo will prepare you to make this type of pen for your self.
MONTHLY PRESIDENT'S NOTES
President's report for July 2016
President's report for July 2016
- Welcome to our new members: Joe Harris, Wade Holloway and Roy Walker.
- We will be featuring an open shop before this month’s meeting starting at 3:00pm. Come and get your turning, grinding and piercing questions answered with hands-on instruction from our highly skilled mentors. Hotdogs $1, chips 50¢ and drinks 50¢ will be available. Please help the ladies and have the correct change.
- SWAT is now just a month away so be sure and register. Online registration ends August 8th at www.swaturners.org. There will be a gourmet burger bar on Friday night, just before the Batty/Mahoney bowl turning contest. Burger bar tickets will have to be purchased online in advance, as tickets will not be sold at the symposium.
- We’ve told you it was coming; now it is time to register for our fall classes with Tim Yoder. See John Horn’s article in this newsletter. Signup starts at 6:00pm this Thursday.
- Hope you have not gotten too tipsy over the July Challenge to turn a Tequila bottle. Be sure and BYOTB (T=turned) to the meeting and receive a quarterly drawing ticket.
- Ray Moyer is coordinating our Beads of Courage program. See Ray for your label bead(s) and any other information on the program. The boxes are not difficult to turn. I saw several great ones at the last meeting. We would like to have a good showing of our boxes at SWAT. Our boxes are donated to Cooks Children’s hospital for seriously ill children to store their “courage beads” received for each procedure they have.
- Ron Traylor is collecting turnings for the Empty Bowls program. Let’s keep up our turned bowl production for 2016 as these help provide a large part of Tarrant County Food Bank’s operating funds.
- See you at 3:00 pm or, if you can’t make open shop, 6:30pm Thursday and be safe.
The mission of the Woodturners of North Texas is to advance the creative pursuit of woodturning through educational programs, practical demonstrations and community service projects. Personal achievement is encouraged through mentoring, design challenges and member participation.